Sunday 27 March 2011

Juego De La Liebre en Barcelona

Spring has sprung here in Barcelona. We may still have a bit of rain ahead, but this weekend has been full of sun, bird song and blossom on the trees. His Nibs is away in London at the moment, which has been a shame as we probably would have made the most of this weekend by planning a trip up to the mountains outside the city or maybe somewhere along the coast. As it it, I've been left to my own devices so I've entertained myself by, guess what, going shopping. (I know, what a surprise.)






First port of call each day has been to the Rosa Canina ice cream shop for a scoop of their delicious organic ice cream. Rosa Canina is actually a Berlin based company, but they have a branch right here in the main square in Barceloneta. It's actually right across from our flat which means I have no chance of resisting the temptation. I'm doomed! It's absolutely delicious and the flavours are really natural, not at all like some of the more synthetic ice creams on offer all over this city. 






The market event After Tea Barcelona was on today, I've previously blogged about it here. I think the venue they used previously has shut down so they held today's event in a function room at the Husa Oriente hotel on La Rambla. I popped in really quickly as I also had another vintage hunt planned, but my eye was instantly drawn to the stall run by Frederik Garcia. His screen printed white t-shirts are right up my street with their animal headed silhouetted characters in black. He also has an online shop if you're not in Barcelona, which you can check out by clicking on his name above. I bought a paper print of his hare figure which you can see in the picture above, I'm going to frame it later. I picked the hare as it is the season for him (I'm more of a fan of  the pagan march hare than his fluffy Easter rabbit Christian counterpart). Sadly hare coursing is as popular in this country as it is in my birth country, Ireland, so I want to show some love for our long eared friend. 






My final stop today was to a vintage shop that is only actually open this and next weekend. It's called the Grand Mercadillo over in Raval and is being organised by a couple of guys who run an art workshop and work in the theatre here in Barcelona. It's more of a clearance sale of items they've collected through the years and is worth a visit if you're in the city next weekend as it really is a little treasure trove of all kinds of goodies. I immediately gravitated to a traditional tuxedo jacket which had a Barcelona tailor's label in it, but sadly it didn't fit. Sometimes it's a real pain being curvy as it was beautifully cut but didn't sit right on me. Such a shame as it was a really well made jacket. All was not lost however as I did manage to nab the handmade cotton nightie in the photo above. It doesn't look like much on the hanger but the stitching is really well done and the lace at the top is in perfect condition. I'm going to cinch it in with a belt and wear it as a summer dress. They weren't sure of the age of it as it's been handmade and had no label, but I think it may have been made as a costume item as it's in such good condition with no stains or signs of wear. 


I've actually got a couple of more shops from this weekend to tell you about, but I think this post is long enough for now. I also got my hands on a book about tailoring techniques which I'm going to give away to one of you so keep your eyes peeled for that. Thanks for reading and as always, any (nice and clean!) comments or suggestions you have would be really appreciated. Hasta luego!

2 comments:

Megan Walsh said...

Makes me want to plan a trip over...sounds devine!

YvonneSedition said...

It's the nicest ice cream I've had for ages, like I say, I'm having to resist the temptation to be over there every day xx